Saturday, March 15, 2008

Week 8 - MySpace

I think what I liked best about MySpace and probably other social networking sites is that it gave you a chance to see your friends through another perspective. I’ve heard it said that you can tell a lot about somebody by the friends they keep. Well, sometimes you can’t see the other types of friends your friends might have. Well, these social networking sites lets you get to know your friend’s friends. Kinda gives you another perspective into who they are. Another thing I like about it is that it lets you see somebody’s more creative side which they are not always open about. Cons, well, within minutes of signing up with MySpace I had 3 friend invites from spammers. Not to mention all the advertising and junk on certain pages. Sometimes it just gets too busy. Then again, maybe I’m just getting old.

I think Social networking sites are popular for the same reasons I described above. Moreover, I think social networking sites are very popular with the younger generation. Online allows for more free expression. Myspace allows free expression and lets you keep in touch with other friends with the tools they have available, like IM, sending messages, posting pictures. And I haven’t even touched on the music part of MySpace which is a huge part of what they do. Discovering music by bands that have not been mainstreamed I think is a thrill on its own.

Honestly, I think a social networking site is just an additional tool the library could use to publicize events. Perhaps if a performer for a Children’s program or the Kaleidoscope Concert Series had a MySpace page, it could give the public an idea of what to expect in the upcoming performance. Curious Gonzo's MySpace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, you have completed Week 8!

MySpace is a great place to virtually meet new people plus it is a great way of creatively expressing one’s interests and personality, which explains why MySpace is so popular. I particularly liked your observation about discovering music that hasn't yet been mainstreamed.

The library could certainly use this and other social networking sites to promote upcoming library events. Thanks for sharing the unique suggestion of chekcing to see if upcoming performers have MySpace pages.

Remember, to be eligible for the fourth biweekly drawing, be sure and finish Week 9 before 3/24.