Monday, March 10, 2008

Week 7 - Google Docs

GOOGLE DOC! - my link to my spreadsheet.

Google docs it think was pretty easy to setup. It looks like there were a couple of ways for me to have set it up. I could have created a document directly from the google docs page or I could upload a file I’ve already created. Either way looked simple. In this case, I opted to upload one I created offline first.

Google docs is relatively easy to use. I think there’s a learning curve in using it. But the learning curve is not necessarily learning how to use the word processing, spreadsheet, or presentation tool. Learning it is more like learning a new version of something you already know. For example, we recently upgraded at work from Windows 2000 to XP. The same tools were available, but not necessarily in the same places we usually find them. In some cases, features disappeared. Well, same goes for Google docs. The bulk of the features are there, but getting used to it will be the biggest challenge for somebody that is fairly comfortable using computers.

I may use it on a regular basis. I’m a student so I work on my homework whenever I get a chance and whatever computer I have access to. If I’m at work, I’ll use that. If I’m at my parents’ house, I’ll use that. But instead of worrying about what version I have, I can just use Google docs to make sure I’m working off the same file. If I need to fine tune it, then I can see myself opening that file in MSWord and using MSWord to make my document look exactly the way I want it to look including page numbers, margins, etc. At least I don’t have to keep retyping the information, which by the way is also my favorite feature of Google docs. My least favorite feature is that I’m not 100% certain about the features available through Google docs. I suppose if I were to practice even more, that I would be more comfortable.

For the library, I can see how Google docs is being used by organizers of 2.0 to keep track of which blogger has already completed each task. I also help put together the Emergency procedures manual. I suppose this is where everybody’s input would be invaluable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, you've completed Week 7 and qualified for the 3rd biweekly drawing. We will announce the winner the week of 3/10.

I can see that Google Docs will definitely be useful for you. Glad that you have discovered it!

Remember, to be eligible for the 4th biweekly drawing, be sure and finish weeks 8 and 9 before 3/24.

Loretta Y. Lau 劉玉英 said...

Hi Andre,

I like how you changed your "comments" label into "Curiouscomments"!

That reminds me of what I saw on Nina's blog earlier--she changed her "comments" label to "books returned."

Hmmm...looks like a couple of clever people at Circ. were sharing tips!