Friday, February 22, 2008

Wiki 5

I have to say that I’ve heard of Wikipedia for years but have never really used it. I heard about this Encyclopedia online that anybody can edit and it was called Wikipedia. Since I heard that just any "schmo" on the street can edit the information on it, I became skeptical of the type of information that it contained.

With that said, I have to say that wikis can only be as reliable as the source. I think that a public wiki might contain useful information, but the information needs to be taken with a grain of salt. In my case, I found that Wikipedia contains a lot of information about a lot of different subjects. So if I wanted to found out information about something, I could use Wikipedia but I should verify it with another source. I’m a big Boyz II Men fan and have been wondering why they went from a quartet to a trio. Wikipedia gave me a little insight on what happened. If I wanted to pursue it further, then I could find another more reputable source.

On the 2.0 Wiki, I added my favorite restaurants (for kicks I alphabetized it too), favorite Disney characters, and my favorite movies. And it’s scary how easy it was. If it’s that easy to update any Wiki, I would definitely second guess the information I find in Wikipedia.

If the library staff needed to collaborate on something, like the EMERGENCY PROCEDURES MANUAL, everybody could have input. But I think in order for the Wiki to be effective with correct information, access to the library Wiki needs to be restricted from the public.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, you've qualified for the 2nd biweekly drawing. We will announce the winner the week of 2/25.

You made some very good comments about the reliability (or lack thereof) of wikis. They must be evaluated just like any other source of information.

I'm glad you found it so easy to work with the Challenge wiki. Kudos for being able to alphabetise a page. Very needed, that.

Thank you for the suggestion to use an internal wiki for the Emergency Procedures Manual. Definitely something to think about.

Remember, to be eligible for the 3rd biweekly drawing, be sure and finish weeks 6 and 7 before 3/10.