Monday, January 21, 2008

Weeks one and two

Web 2.0? What do I know about Web 2.0? Apparently, more than I thought, but it's still not much. I decided to participate, and hope to continue participating, in the Library 2.0 challenge in order to take advantage of all the free tools available to me on the internet. My primary goal is to have something that would help me track how fast my kids have grown. As a father of 3, working full-time, and going to school, and not the least of which is being married to my lovely wife of 9 years.... it's easy to forget what's important in life and how quickly things change. Hopefully some of these online tools will help keep in check what's important and how quickly things change. 10 years ago, I was a single guy doing what I wanted and when I wanted. 10 years later, those responsibilities have realigned themselves. I never would have thought that I would be responsible for 3 kids of my own... in my mind, I'm still a kid and I still want to do what I want. Well, other things have to come first now.

Getting back to the blog, did I find it hard to setup the blog? Not at all. The blog was much easier than I thought it would be. Step by step instructions make it practically fool-proof. I never thought I would ever setup my own blog. Fortunately, the library challenge allows me to use work time to finally accomplish some of my personal goals of tracking the growth of my own children. I think the biggest challenge for me is to continue the blog and to keep up. If not for me, for my family.

Honestly, I don't know how to use this blog to reach out to the community, at least not anymore than I think we already do. We try to keep the community abreast of events with calendars and flyers. I think the blog is an additional tool for those more likely to use a computer rather than follow a calendar. Perhaps a link in a patron's account to point out events for the week or events for the month that would show when a patron logs in to their account would help keep them posted.

5 comments:

Jackie FM said...

Such a cute pix of your children. I know what you mean by how you feel inside. For me, in my head... I'm still 15 or 16. Somewhere along the way the years just passed VERY quickly.

Keep up the good work!

laura said...

I love that picture of your kids!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the challenge!
Hopefully you will find the 2.0 tools useful and helpful in your busy life. Keep up the good work!
Congratulations - you've officially completed Weeks One and Two. Remember, to be eligible for the first biweekly drawing be sure and complete Week Three before February 11th.

Anonymous said...

A good friend of mine uses blogger as an "online baby book" Here's a link:

http://talkaboutitmore.blogspot.com/

I look forward to your blogposts about your 3 little ones!

Lil' Adri said...

Aww lucy is so cute!!! I still want to see her! Cute pics!