Thursday, April 3, 2008

Week 11 - Yelp.com

For this second-to-last challenge I wanted to try something out other than Library Thing or Rollyo. I followed the Web 2.0 Awards link and tried out several of the different links.

First I tried the mashup Coverpop.com The site was billed as a montage which allows you to view different images from one main collage. After playing with the different montages and being absolutely intrigued mostly because I tried to do a similar collage effect with the pictures of the kids on the front of my blog. I decided against using it. Unfortunately I didn’t think this was going to help with this assignment.

Then I tried OneSentence.org, “true stories, told in one sentence.” I tend to ramble and repeat myself so I thought this would be helpful. It was interesting and entertaining, unfortunately not something that would be helpful to me.

I was hit and miss with a few others like CocktailBuilder.com, Guess-the-Google, Boxxet, Yahoo Answers (which was very promising), and Findory (which is now defunct). I finally settled on Yelp.com. Yelp.com is a city guide to help you decide on where to go, what to do, and most importantly, WHERE TO EAT! On a personal level, I was excited to stumble upon it to add as one of the tools I can use to try new things. I have had some success with Yahoo Local in finding new places to go so Yelp.com was an added bonus. I think if somebody were to take a trip, this can be a good tool in helping decide where to go and what to try. On the flip-side, if you are one to take pictures of everything you eat and everywhere you go (you know who you are), this is a great way to share your experiences. Next week, my family plans on taking a little vacation and I already have a small list of places to eat that I have all intentions of dragging my family to. Who knows, I might be one of those shutterbugs that’ll take pictures of the food and post on the internet.

From a library point of view, I can see using this tool to help patrons find places to go, see, and eat. I know this tool will come in handy if I want to share the local eateries with some workshop attendees. I don’t even have to give them a review of the food, they can go look it up themselves. So be adventurous, try one of the hole-in-the-wall places that Yelp.com might send you to. You just might be pleasantly surprised. Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, you’ve completed Week 11!

That’s great that you were able to take the time and make the effort to try out so many of the optional web 2.0 tools. Yelp is another great site that patrons can use as a reference tool when traveling and trying new places, I even think that library has been reviewed on this site. Thanks for sharing.

Be sure and complete week 12 before 4/14 in order to receive your Amazon.com participant gift card and to qualify for our grand prize drawing!